tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Do I the choice under uk law to have my vehicle repaired wherever

Customer Question

Do I the choice under uk law to have my vehicle repaired wherever I wish regardless who my insurance company is.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is Tony and I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Can you tell me a little more about the issue please?

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

I want know if under uk law it is entirely my choice to have my vehicle repaired following an accident, wherever I wish, regardless of my insurance company's wishes.

tdlawyer :

You can have it repaired anywhere you like, but that is not to say that they have to pay for it.

tdlawyer :

They have to do what they agreed under the insurance policy with you and they often state that they will refer to one of their nominated repairers or indemnity you to a certain value.

tdlawyer :

If, for example, they could have the repair done at a proper repairer for £500, if you went somewhere else and said that they wanted £3,000, then the insurer would not have to pay you the £3,000 to cover those costs. They would only have to pay the £500 towards it and you pay the balance £2,500.

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

My car is a Mecedes under 3 years old and may need a new engine, contaminated fuel, they want it to go to a garage who specialise in crash repairs.

tdlawyer :

And you want it to go to the dealership?

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

Yes

tdlawyer :

Okay, then check the policy terms and see what it says about repairs etc. If it says they will pay reasonable costs and it says nothing about going to their own repairers, then you should be able to get it sent there and argue that their costs are reasonable for the nature of the works to be done.

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

OK thanks

tdlawyer :

If the policy doens't prescribe their repairers, then you could get it done yourself via MB if you had to and pay them directly. Then, if you needed to later, to get the insurer to pay, you could make a complaint to the ombudsman service. You can do this before you pay anything, but it takes a while sometimes to get through the ombudsman system and you dont want to be without your car for too long I expect.

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

OK I will talk to my insurance company

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else I can add for you? Are you happy with the service this evening?

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

No that is all thank you.

tdlawyer :

Are you happy with the service this evening?

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

Yes thank you.

tdlawyer :

Thank you - have a good Easter.

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

web site will not let me rate your help and exit

tdlawyer :

Dont worry - what would you have rated, and I'll ask them to register it manually.

JACUSTOMER-5qetl159- :

Good service

tdlawyer :

Thank you! Take care!