How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Arrested for downloading nudist vidoes which had underage in

Resolved Question:

Arrested for downloading nudist vidoes which had underage in them, over 3/4 yrs ago police removed my computer to look for any images, but none are on my PC.

The only parts what causing me to worry is about 2 yrs ago for work we where looking at using encryption software to secure our companies data for our external staff, during the testing I ran a number of test on my home PC, creating test encryption files which are still on my harddrive, but i've no idea what the passwords for these files are now.

So I don't know what I can do about this problem, I've ask around work for password XXXXX managed to get a couple of password XXXXX it may be, but I've no idea.

What would be the best cause of action for this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I'm unable to locate the correct password XXXXX the encrypted files what else can I do to prove I don't know the passwords.


The software was called "truecrypt"

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
To whom do you need to prove that?

To what end?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because I was arrested and my computer equipment was taken, the police will be looking for more evidence to what I was arrested for.

With these encrypted files it looks like i've got stuff to hide within these files, but I'm unable to remember any of the passwords when I create the files a number of years ago. So what action will the police take if i'm unable to give them passwords for these encrypted files.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.


There isn't a great deal they can do about it. They will be displeased that you haven't made their task easy for them but they cannot punish you for doing so and, in fact, it isn't really in your interests to do that.

They may well try to break the encryptions and they may succeed. If they do then they can investigate. If they cannot then they will suspect that there is something on there but be unable to rely on it.

If you are saying that there is a reasonable chance that they will find something on there then it makes no sense at all to give them the password XXXXX if you knew it.

The onus is upon them to prove what they allege and all you are doing by assisting them to prove the case against you is doing their job for them.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice