12826847

Arrested for downloading nudist vidoes which had underage in

Arrested for downloading nudist vidoes which had underage in them, over 3/4 yrs ago police removed my computer to look for any images, but none are on my PC.

The only parts what causing me to worry is about 2 yrs ago for work we where looking at using encryption software to secure our companies data for our external staff, during the testing I ran a number of test on my home PC, creating test encryption files which are still on my harddrive, but i've no idea what the passwords for these files are now.

So I don't know what I can do about this problem, I've ask around work for password XXXXX managed to get a couple of password XXXXX it may be, but I've no idea.

What would be the best cause of action for this.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I'm unable to locate the correct password XXXXX the encrypted files what else can I do to prove I don't know the passwords.

The software was called "truecrypt"

To whom do you need to prove that?

To what end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I was arrested and my computer equipment was taken, the police will be looking for more evidence to what I was arrested for.

With these encrypted files it looks like i've got stuff to hide within these files, but I'm unable to remember any of the passwords when I create the files a number of years ago. So what action will the police take if i'm unable to give them passwords for these encrypted files.

There isn't a great deal they can do about it. They will be displeased that you haven't made their task easy for them but they cannot punish you for doing so and, in fact, it isn't really in your interests to do that.

They may well try to break the encryptions and they may succeed. If they do then they can investigate. If they cannot then they will suspect that there is something on there but be unable to rely on it.

If you are saying that there is a reasonable chance that they will find something on there then it makes no sense at all to give them the password XXXXX if you knew it.

The onus is upon them to prove what they allege and all you are doing by assisting them to prove the case against you is doing their job for them.