Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My son lives in Australia and is having difficulty with settlement

My son lives in Australia and is having difficulty with settlement of property and business with his ex wife. Is there a Citizens advice bureau that he could contact in Australia. He lives in Brisbane.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if the property and settlement matters he is having difficulties with is in the UK or Australia please?

Customer:

Australia

Joshua :

Thanks. Has he raised his dissatisfaction with his solicitor do you know?

Customer:

Not that I know of.

Customer:

He does not feel she is acting in his best interests

Joshua :

Thanks. From what you say he may wish to give consideration to appointing another solicitor. In terms of other areas of advice, there is a National Association of Community Legal Centres which offer volunteer lawyers and referrals which can be contacted on 02 9264 9595. They appear to have a network of local offices.

Joshua :

There is also a legal information and referral services in Brisbane on 1300 65 11 88 which is located onXXXXXBrisbane 4000

Customer:

Thank you I will advise him to contact them

Customer:

I take it the laws in Australia are very different from here that is why I was asking was there a system in Australia similar to the Uk Citizens Advice

Customer:

Joshua :

Australian law takes its roots from UK law and so in many ways is similiar in features but obviously is very different in detail.

Customer:

So I am probably best directing him to take it up there rather than ask advice in the UK

Joshua :

There is a citizens advice bureau in Australia but this appears to deal more with social welfare and services issues rather than legal issues directly. However they can be contacted on if your son wishes to contact them (07) 3403 5648

Joshua :

Yes certainly if the disputes relate to property in Australia he would need representation from an Australian solicitor rather than in the UK. If he is not satisifed with the one he has he can of course contact others.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

I do not think so thank you

Customer:

I will pass the information on to him

Joshua :

If I can assist with anything else please do not hesitate to contact me.

Customer:

Joshua :

Best wishes