How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10426
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi, I could potentially be made bankrupt. I am currently in

Customer Question

Hi, I could potentially be made bankrupt. I am currently in a civil partnership, how will the official receiver/trustee assess what assets are mine? My civil partner has a property which he has mortgaged in his sole name and has been since he moved in 13 years ago, and is in his sole name at the land registry. So as such this would be his sole asset and not a joint asset? would I be correct in that assumption, As I moved in with him the house was fully furnished by him, most of the costs since I moved in have been holidays food etc, but I'm not sure what they will ascertain assets of which I hold an interest?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You are correct in that as the property is in your Partner's sole name, then the Trustee in Bankruptcy would have no claim whatsoever over the property, if you were to be made bankrupt.

Only assets/accounts that are in your name can be claimed from him.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks for your reply, in terms of in my name how would that relate to property that is in the house which is in my civil partners name i.e. TV's etc, can they be claimed as I live in the same property? How would items in the home be apportioned as they wouldn't be in a named account as such? Also items which have been as gifts in the past for family members etc could they be claimed as assets as I had paid for them in the past?

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, even if any household items legally belong to you alone (the Trustee can't claim jointly owned items, only items belonging to you, the Trustee rarely claims any such items as they have a low second hand value. Unless you have expensive antiques, personal items are not normally touched. However, if your partner has any paperwork to show that the tv/computer etc are his, then that would be great- but as I say, I doubt the Trustee will come after any standard household items anyway.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions