Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am an immigrant in uk on student visa. Now if am found guilty

I am an immigrant in uk on student visa. Now if am found guilty of harassment then will I be drported as soon as the punishment is served.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-What are the exact details of the charge?

-Do you have any other criminal convictions in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have any previous conviction in uk. I have not been charged with anything yet. But the potential charge is of harassment.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Whether you will be deported depends on the nature of the offence and the sentence.

If you are given a prison sentence of 12 months or more you could be deported at the end of that sentence.

Even if you are not given a prison sentence the Home Office could curtail your visa - which means that your permission to stay in the UK coukd be cancelled.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it necessary that home office will curtail the visa on finding me convicted of any offense or? If not then under what circumstances will they curtail the visa?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
The Home Office may consider curtailing a migrants leave when "...their conduct..makes it undesirable to allow them to remain in the UK but they do not reach the deportation threshold..." Undesirable includes serious harm or persistent offending.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes