UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a romanian citizen married to a british citizen since

I am a romanian citizen married to a british citizen since 2001. In 2006 we moved to the UK and i had a spouse visa that allowed me to remain and work. I have been ( with my family) out of the country from 8 Jan 2008 until 1 February 2010. Since 2010 i live and work here in the UK. I would like to apply for british passport. Am i eligible?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you are eligible if you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am not entirely sure what ILR is, i was on a spouse visa and was never advised i should change. Also since Romania joined the EU in 2007 i didn't need to renew the spuse visa

As you were married to a British citizen and obtained a spouse visa, you would have come under UK immigration rules, not EU rules and you would have been eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after 2 years with your spouse in the UK.

You will be eligible to apply for British citizenship once you obtain permanent residency here after 5 years from 2010. Prior to 2010 time in the UK is not counted as you had a long absence.

Hope this helps