Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Myself and ex girlfriend booked a holiday for October this

Myself and ex girlfriend booked a holiday for October this year in her name, however, she broke up with me and refuses to give back my deposit of £600. She used me to pay for holiday that I wasn't going on. Is there anything that I can do?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Did you give the £600 to your ex-girlfriend or directly to the holiday company?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I paid £200 to the holiday company and £400 to my ex girlfriend, she showed me an updated document showing that my money had gone in.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

I'm assuming the holiday will be cancelled in which case you and/or your girlfriend will lose the deposit to the holiday company. They will keep the deposit regardless of the reasons for the cancellation.

If your ex-girlfriend is going to take the holiday then she should refund any balance due to you If she keeps the money for herself then you could sue her in the County Court - but before starting a claim you should inform her of your intention and give her a chance to pay you back.

Just to be clear - you will not have a claim against the holiday company unless you made the booking yourself. Any claim will be against your ex-girlfriend.