Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was arrested last night for being drunk on a flight home.

I was arrested last night for being drunk on a flight home. I have to attend the local court in 3 weeks and my charge is section. 142 b of flight navigation act 2009. I don't know what this is and was told by the duty sergeant to look it up. I am really worried as I have never been in trouble before. I think when enebrated I said not guilty, but obviously I had created offence to others on r he flight by swearing and singing loudly. This is totally out of character for me and was on the flight with my friend and our 2 sons. Please help.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you have a criminal record? Are you intending to plead guilty?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No record. And i will plead guilty to get it over and done with

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

And just to clarify is the allegation that you were being verbally abusive? Is there any suggestion of any fighting? Did you have to be restrained or was this simply rowdy behaviour?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rowdy behaviour of the plane a day asked to sit with the flight attended for landing. Once we had landed I was told that a woman sitting behind us had made the complaint. I called her something along the lines of an old bitch. Before I had done that my husband was told I would probably be getting cautioned. I was then cuffed and taken to the local police station for the night. I did say not guilty then but. I wasn't shown or asked to sign a statement and I don't know that charge is. Absolutely no previous, I am a staff nurse and am worried about my employment/disclosure if I have to tell them what's happening? .

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
I understand.

The law says:

A person must not while in an aircraft—

(a)use any threatening, abusive or insulting words towards a member of the crew of the aircraft;

(b)behave in a threatening, abusive, insulting or disorderly manner towards a member of the crew of the aircraft; or

(c)intentionally interfere with the performance by a member of the crew of the aircraft of the crew member’s duties.

The penalty for an offence under s.142 is a fine only. The maximum fine that could be imposed is £2,500.

Based on the information you have provided it seems to me that you're unlikely to have a defence to this allegation and should think about pleading guilty at the first opportunity. By pleading guilty and showing remorse the penalty will be reduced by up to 33%.

The amount of the fine is dependent on your income/outgoings but for a first time offence for a person pleading guilty on a modest income, I expect and costs to be in the region of £300 - £500.

I don't know what your obligation is to inform your employer - but a conviction for this criminal offence will appear on future criminal records checks.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Angela

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes