12826847

Is it illegal for a parent to be sole charge of an 11 and 16

Is it illegal for a parent to be sole charge of an 11 and 16 year old and be totally drunk so they pass out?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

There is an offence in being drunk in charge of a child but that can only apply to a child under 7 and has to be in a public place.

There is no specific offence covering this. There is an offence of child cruelty but one instance of drunkeness would not amount to it.

It might be something that would interest social services but it does not amount to a crime I'm afraid.

I'm very sorry if thats bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I thought there might be cruelty how would that be proven? Would the children have to go to court?

Its not cruelty I'm afraid.

There would need to be a really long term practice with lots of other forms of neglect before it would offend.