12826847

My son was involved in robbing a taxi driver it was not him

My son was involved in robbing a taxi driver it was not him that did the crime but he and his girlfriend were there,they went to court and were found guilty,my son served 6 months of a 15month conviction.is there any wAy he can get this conviction sealed,it was three years ago and he has not been in any trouble since,he finds it very difficult to find employment,which makes him very depressed.he his 25years old.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but it cannot be forever removed from his CRB.

It will be show forever on the police national computer. It will drop off basic CRB checking after 10 years.

It will show forever on his enhanced level check. There have been some changes in the law that allow for removal but only for offences that didn't lead to custody.

Its quite unlikely that he will be enhanced CRB checked though so the basic checking will be relevant to him.

For what its worth, I know that convictions make employment very difficult. He can always become self employed.

It is possible to ask the police to remove a conviction using their exceptional case procedure. You should be aware that it would be irresponsible of me to tell you that there is any realistic chance of that happening. However, you can ask and I suppose you can judicially review the decision to refuse. You will find guidance on that here at page 11

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/PoliceCertificates/SubjectAccess/Retention%20of%20Records06.pdf

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.