tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I am not with BT but have a box and piping on my wall,that

Customer Question

I am not with BT but have a box and piping on my wall,that has to be moved before i can get my external wall fitted with isolation. when i rung BT they told me i would have to pay £189 just to get there engineer out to have a look at it plus any other work that needs done before they could give me a finale bill.Needless to say i don't want to pay them anything.
Could i charge them for having there box and cables on my wall when i don't want them at all.
Any help would be appreciated
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

You're not going to be able to charge BT unfortunately, becuase you (or the previous owner) would have agreed to it being there. I assume when I say this that the service on your land is only serving your property, it's not like a main junction box for everybody else's benefit?

JACUSTOMER-iowc5mi1- :

Are they still entitled to ask me to pay the costs?

tdlawyer :

What are they asking for costs for? Just to come out and have a look, or to relocate the box?

tdlawyer :

I suppose they are entitled to their costs to come out and check and move the box, so long as the box is not in a place it shouldn't be. If you, or your predecessor, agreed to it being in the location it's in now (as somebody surely must have in the past), then they can charge.

tdlawyer :

If you're not using the BT line, can you not move it yourself?

tdlawyer :

If you're out of contract with them, you can tell them to move it, or you will move it yourself.

tdlawyer :

Obviously, if they come out they're entitled to charge, but if you do it for them, then can't charge you.

tdlawyer :

Do you want me to answer anything else about this for you?

tdlawyer :

If there is nothing more I can assist with would you please rate the answer for me.