tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

in Bankruptcy, will my Civil Partner be expected to provide

in Bankruptcy, will my Civil Partner be expected to provide information to the trustee? the home we live in his sole asset, he purchased it by mortgage some 8 years prior to meeting me.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

No, your civil partner will not be expected to provide information to the trustee. This would be the responsibility solely of the bankrupt person.

Customer:

so will I be expected to provide information on my civil partnerships income etc? we hold separate bank accounts?

tdlawyer :

No, only your income is important.

tdlawyer :

The trustee/official receiver has no claim against the assets of your partner.

Customer:

can i ask a question in relation to mobile phone contracts in bankruptcy?

Customer:

if you had a phone on a 24 month contract, and it hasn't crossed the 24 months when you are made bankrupt what would happen with the phone?

tdlawyer :

The contract would probably be disclaimed, i.e. ended by the trustee/official receiver. This is if he thought it was onerous (which as a liability, it probably would be), but he wouldn't disconnect it if it was needed for work purposes.

Customer:

but I would assume the mobile phone company would disconnect if i was declared bankrupt?

tdlawyer :

They probably wouldn't know until somebody tells them!

tdlawyer :

That'll either be you or the trustee/official receiver.

Customer:

oh I thought the trustee would contact them?

tdlawyer :

He could ... but only if he thinks it worth it.

Customer:

Oh I thought he just automatically fired letters off to everybody you have any financial connection with

tdlawyer :

It might be needed for work, in which case, he can't cancel it. Also, bankruptcy doesn't bring a contract to an end automatically, unless you agree that this should happen.

tdlawyer :

It might in the phone companies terms and conditions - but again, until they're contacted, they're not going to know. It's not like a bank, which would know automatically (they have people sifting through the papers every day).

Customer:

oh okay, it's the only means of contact I have so would need it for any job enquiries

tdlawyer :

Then make that clear to the trustee. I expect the phone company would continue it so long as they're paid.

Customer:

thank you for your help.

tdlawyer :

You're welcome.