Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am very worried. I had someone work for me for six years,

I am very worried. I had someone work for me for six years, she never signed a contract, I wanted to get the company in order and got employment contracts for everyone at which point she started getting very difficult with me. Because of this and many other things I sacked her and she now says she will sue me. Can she do this if she was not contracted?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The fact that there was no written contract will not stop this person bringing a claim against you.

If she worked for you and you paid her a wage then she was probably an "employee" and is entitled to protection under employment law.

In English Law a written contract is helpful in establishing rights and obligations when there is a dispute, but the lack of a written contract does not stop people exercising their rights in law.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Shara

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes