UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a member of a conservative club whose agm is coming up

Customer Question

I am a member of a conservative club whose agm is coming up on Friday, According to the rule book rule 22 states that officers shall be elected at an agm and another rule states that the election of committee shall be held at the agm. I have been asking for 18 months for proof of a change to the rules that allow voting to take place outside of the agm but they cannot provide any proof of a rule change passed at an agm. This year we have a number of members standing for the committee and a an unsigned notice has been put up in the club saying that a photo shoot of candidates will be held between 7.30pm and 8,30pn on Wednesday to aid in the identification of candidates during the voting however each candidate is required to stand and identify him/herself at the agm.
What do I need to do to prevent the voting outside of the agm to be disregarded.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid you would need to go to court for an injunction to o the effect that the club complies with its rules which appears to be flouted here.

If the club ignores the injunction, there will be sanctions imposed by the court

You may see here for the process involved for making the application

http://uk.practicallaw.com/2-211-3117

Hope this helps