75100385

I viewed a car on saturday, signed order form for purchase,

I viewed a car on saturday, signed order form for purchase, paid £500 deposit and now wish to withdraw. Will I lose my deposi? Do I have a cooling off period.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did sign on the premises please?

Customer:

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

Unless the contract states otherwise you are bound.

Customer:

ok

Alex Watts :

It may be that you can terminate but lose the deposit.

Customer:

Does thism

Alex Watts :

But check the contract small print

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Can they force us to buy the car, or can we just walk away with loss of deposit. The car was secondhand purchase for a main dealer.

Alex Watts :

You may not be able to cancel, check the small print. But you are likely to be able to cancel and just lose the deposit

Customer:

There is nothing in the terms and conditions which says anything about cancelling or cooling off period. It just seems to cover if you were purchasing using finance. We did ask for work to be completed before we would complete purchase, but have had second thoughts.

Alex Watts :

Yes if you have not had finance, there is no cooling off

Alex Watts :

Call the dealer, I suspect you will just lose the deposit.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Customer:

ok, thank you very much for your advice today.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

Excellent service. Thank you very much for responding so quickly and clarifying our questions.