75100385

My council tenency audit officer is turning up to my door stop

My council tenency audit officer is turning up to my door stop when Im not available, she keeps on leaving her card. I called her and requested an appointment which she refused to book. Can you please help ke and tell me what are my rights as a social tenent.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What does your tenancy agreement say about inspections please?

Customer:

My tenancy say that from time to time they will do auditing to make sure that social housing are being look aftered, and in addition it is occupied by legal tenants.

Alex Watts : Ok. On what basis do you want to stop them if they have a right to inspect?
Customer:

I don't want to stop them, I want them to book an appointment with me because whenever they are turning up I am not at home. I'm worried that they might try evicting me on the basis od thinking that I no longer live at the propery.

Customer:

I'm a secured tenant btw

Alex Watts : Have they said why they can't make an appointment please?
Customer: They only said "we can't give an appointment" Im assuming that they are doing random checks since the inception of social housing fraud act. My main worry is that because Im mostly never available, I don't want them to start assuming that I sub letted my property or moved out. They already turned up few times and left a card to call them back which Im always doing, they now started to ask me quastions like why I'm neveravailable. I work as a freelance courier which means my jobs are random and involves traveling nationwide.
Alex Watts : I would write to the chief executive and raise a formal complaint.
Alex Watts : It makes no sense that they can't offer appointments.
Alex Watts : After all you are not refusing an inspection just want an appointment.
Alex Watts : So write and raise this formally and that should resolve it.
Alex Watts : If not then you can complain to the ombudsman,
Alex Watts : They offer a free service and can deal with your complaint as they are independent of the council.
Alex Watts : Their website is www.lgo.org.uk
Alex Watts : But they would have expected you to get a final response from the council first.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?