29905560

I have had a disagreement with a local Sports Club for 4 years

I have had a disagreement with a local Sports Club for 4 years . the trustees who took over the club in the 90s suspended 8 members for not returning a questionnaire about a facebook article which was mostly true. the questionnaire never had any warning of possible punishment for not returning the document. Although we requested an appeal within the time scale stated in our suspension letter, this was refused. Because the Bowls team have had problems because of our suspensions the trustees allowed the suspended members back. the one exception being myself, because I used to write them letters which they had difficulty replying to. Also I put an article in the local paper which described the financial losses they have suffered since 40 members left the club the year after our suspension. do I have a case of victimisation & discrimination.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Apart from the letters you wrote why do you think you were not allowed to return?

Customer:

Because I was a member of the indoor committee & spoke my mind. Also when they had an EGM to bring the trustees into the club as the acting secretary because the secretary at the time was very ill, I was the one that said we didn't need them because the club had been running since the 1940s & we could run it ourselves

Customer:

That was a waste of time & money

Ben Jones :

Legally there is no discrimination or victimisation here. For discrimination to occur you must be treated detrimentally on the grounds of a protected characteristic. These are limited to the following: age, gender, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marriage. I see no evidence that any of these applied here and the reasons for their treatment is on entirely different grounds.

For victimisation to occur, you must have been treated detrimentally for making or trying to make a complaint about discrimination. However, as we have established there was no discrimination in the first place and as such it is not possible for victimisation to have occurred either. So you cannot raise complaints for discrimination or victimisation.

Generally, a private members’ club is free to decide who they have as a member and whether to continue the membership of existing members. The laws are relatively relaxed and a club can simply decide one day that they do not want someone as a member and terminate their membership. That is their prerogative. They need to follow any termination procedure in their rules but even if they do not, all the member can hope to recover or do in the circumstances is any membership fees for the period after termination.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hi do you need any further help with your query please?

Customer:

please close the question

Ben Jones :

ok

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'