12826847

travelling the left lane (unmarked) of a large roundabout intending

Customer Question

travelling the left lane (unmarked) of a large roundabout intending to exit on the second exit (180 degrees) the car behind overtook very quickly cutting in front of me as I approached the first exit it then left by the first exit catching my front bumper. no damage to mine but pulled the back bumper off the other car.
the other driver said it as my fault. highway code shows car going to second exit in left lane.
who is wrong?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

before I contact my insurance I would like to know if my view of this is normally accepted, ie I was not doing anything wrong and the other car was driving without due care and attention.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you need to know anything else? if so what?

Sorry for the delay.

The Highway code is not law however it is persuasive if their ends up being a dispute over who is at fault.

Rule 185 https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

does show that traffic in the right-hand lane is for turning right and in the left hand lane is for going straight on or turning left.

Under no circumstances can I think that someone in the right-hand lane can turn left and not be in the wrong.

Can I clarify anything for you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/