75100385

I have been a sitting tenant in the flat I live in for 16yrs

I have been a sitting tenant in the flat I live in for 16yrs I have never missed the rent even for one week in that 16yrs. my original landlord died and his son took over the premises years ago and I have been paying the rent to him ever since. I have recently been told that he now wants to sell the property and wants to come and see me about moving out. I don't want to move out as I am getting older and have lived in the area all my life. can you please advise me what my rights are.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you know what type of tenancy agreement you have please?

Customer:

verbal agreement

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid. Assured Shorthold Tenancies started in 1997

Alex Watts :

If you only have a verbal agreement then sadly your rights are limited/.

Alex Watts :

The Landlord is able to give you notice but this must be a minimum of 2 months

Alex Watts :

Sadly you can't stop the Landlord giving notice and if he wants you to move then all he needs to do is give 2 months

Alex Watts :

If you had an agreement in writing with a fixed period, you may have had longer

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

But try asking the landlord to market it with a sitting tenant, someone else may want to buy it with you there

Alex Watts :