29905560

hello, ive recently joined a professional plumbing company

hello, i've recently joined a professional plumbing company in february since I have joined I've encountered the following problems, I developed the flu in the early weeks and I was told that it is not acceptable and I'm not allowed anytime off work. So i continued to work.
The company vehicle that was supplied to me had an attempted break in then the week after i was involved in road traffic accident which was non fault. I had been threatened with the sack verbally from the boss, and now i have just been verbally abused over the phone and intimidated at work and threatened with my job over the fact i missed a call on the work mobile phone. what should i do

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What would you ideally like to achieve?

Customer:

after today i feel like i have been mis treated for the last time. I feel I can't return back to work as i feel i have been verbally abused and therefore i don't feel comfortable working there. But its not right that i should have to hand my notice in because of an unprofessional boss. Can i claim compensation from this?

Ben Jones :

I certainly agree that this is not fair but legally your rights may be somewhat limited and I will explain why below.

If you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat restricted. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you or force you to leave for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.). I see no reasons to suggest that any of the above applied here.

Compensation would not be available unless you can show you were discriminated and unfortunately it means you could be forced to leave and get nothing for doing so. All you can expect in the circumstances is any pay up to date as well as accrued holidays.

Customer:

thank you

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome