UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am 65 years old. I have recently discovered that my mother

Customer Question

I am 65 years old. I have recently discovered that my mother lied on my birth certificate.
She gave a false address, stated that she was married to the man I now know to be my stepfather when she was still married to her first husband.
My birth was registered when I was 15 months old giving my birthdate as 1950 when I was actually born in 1948.
I need to know what this means for me legally. First of all, is my marriage legal? I obviously produced my birth certificate believing my date of birth was 1950. In addition, does this affect my children's birth certificates?
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

When did you get married?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was first married in 1969 when I believed I as 19, I was actually nearly 21. I was divorced in 2000.
I remarried in 2002, once again believing I was 52 when I was actually nearly 54.

Your marriage is legal and your children's birth certificates are also legal.

You may apply to correct your birth date on your birth record if you have proof that you were actually born in 1948 and not 1950 but legally speaking, it will not change anything, you will just have to go through hassle getting all your documents corrected.

Or you may just live with the incorrect birth date and save yourself a lot of hassle and cost.

Can I help further?
Thank you for leaving positive feedback.

This may help you if you wish to amend your record of birth

https://www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration/what-corrections-can-be-made