75100385

Hi, My tenant left the flat without giving notice and without

My tenant left the flat without giving notice and without paying the last month rent. As she was a student and a single mother she was council tax exempt,( which I got to know afterwards), so I assume she was getting housing benefit as well.
Is there any way where I could get the last month rent directly paid by the council?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Sadly not.
Alex Watts : The council have no obligation to pay you anything, you have no contract with the council.
Alex Watts : Your contract is with the tenant.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certaintly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : You could ask the council, but they are likely to say no.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Customer:

does it mean that the tenant can put the money the council is giving her for the rent in her pocket and not be accountable for that?

Alex Watts : Sadly yes.
Alex Watts : The tenant is accountable,