hi i am in dispute with a motor mechanic over his bill can

hi i am in dispute with a motor mechanic over his bill can you help

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

I took a vehicle to have some repaires done. After two weeks it was obviuos the mechanic was having difficulty getting it to run.I suggested to him that if he was struggling I,d take it away and trade in for a new vehicle.

It was immediately obvious that the condition of the vehicle wouldnt allow this. I then took it to the main dealer for a diagnostic and then to a new mechanic that discovered the parts had been fitted incorectly. tThis was repaired and the vehicle now runs.

The bill from the original mechanic was £2100, I dont feel that I ought to pay this as the work was faulty so I sent him payment of £1100 which is my calculation of the value of the parts he supplied.

we are now in dispute over the outstanding ammount and at stalemate,should I pay

What result did you get for £2100?

How much of that was essential parts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the result was that I had a car that would hardly run, it smoked so much i was getting obuse from other drivers and it would not have passed the MOT it was due for because of emmissions.

The parts supplied on the original bill where £1500, I maintain this is an overcharge and have paid £1100 although I have said that if he provides me with receipts for his parts I will honour them.

I am refusing to pay the extra as the parts he fitted were incorrectly fitted and it cost £700 to have that work repaired.

His arguement is that I took the vehicle Knowing it was unfinished.

The repairer has a duty under the Supply of Goods and Services Act to carry out the job with reasonable care and skill.

If no price is agreed the price must be reasonable.

If no timescale is agreed then the timescale must also be reasonable.

After two weeks, it appears that the repairer was actually incapable of carrying out the job.

You are entitled therefore to have the job done for a reasonable price.

What is reasonable would depend upon the facts of the case and if there were £1500 of parts then provided all those parts were needed, it would appear the £2100 is not an unreasonable bill provided the car ran properly at the end of it. However it appears that it did not and therefore you had to get it done somewhere else.

If you had to pay more money to get it done somewhere else you would be entitled to recover the extra cost over and above £2100 from the later garage.

What you have proposed to pay for the parts provided he lets you have the receipts and provided all the parts were actually needed is not unreasonable.

However if ever you are making a part payment intended to be in full and final settlement it is essential that it is clearly noted that if the person cashes the cheque they are accepting it in full and final settlement and that if they do not accept it, they should not cash it will return it to you.

It is true that you took the vehicle knowing that it was unfinished but of course after two weeks it is apparent that he was not capable of finishing it in any event.

My suggestion would be that you are liable to pay him for parts which were essentially fitted but not for the Labour which has basically been a waste of his time.

It would be different had the second garage not been able to repair it because it was not repairable but obviously that is not the case. You are not under a liability to pay the mechanic for his "experiments" if he is not competent to repair it within a reasonable period of time.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice