How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70116
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hope you can heeeeeelp me as no-one seems to be able to answer

Customer Question

Hope you can heeeeeelp me as no-one seems to be able to answer my question

I am going to be travelling between uk and Portugal, possibly being in Portugal for longer than 90 days

I have just taken an annual uk, comprehensive car policy out(which covers me for a maximum of 90 days per year,travel in europe , then i can add on extra weeks at 17.50 per week after that)

Can I have 2 insurance policies on 1 car, a uk one for when I'm in uk and a portugese one for when I'm in Portugal ? ...... If not,,, when I get to Portugal if I cancel my uk insurance and take out a portugese one then travel back to uk for short time , will it show up on the police ANPR computer as not having valid insurance
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you confirmed that the Portuguese insurer will insure a British car on British plates? I think you will find that they will not do it and they would require the vehicle to be registered in Portugal and on Portuguese plates.

I can tell you that a British insurer would not insure a Portuguese car on Portuguese plates, it would have to be registered in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, confirmed that portugese ins company will cover uk car on uk plates,
I can't put car onto portugese plates as in order to do this you have to have owned the car a year , and I have not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

If you cancel your UK insurance you will actually get very little money back so there is probably no point in cancelling it..

If you insure it in Portugal and then come back to the UK, it will show as uninsured on an ANPR.
You will then have to show the Portuguese paperwork which shows that it is insured for being driven in the UK.

Provided you declare to the insurance companies that there is another policy, there is no problem having two policies on one car although if you have an accident, they would split liability between them.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions