Hope you can heeeeeelp me as no-one seems to be able to answer

Customer Question

Hope you can heeeeeelp me as no-one seems to be able to answer my question

I am going to be travelling between uk and Portugal, possibly being in Portugal for longer than 90 days

I have just taken an annual uk, comprehensive car policy out(which covers me for a maximum of 90 days per year,travel in europe , then i can add on extra weeks at 17.50 per week after that)

Can I have 2 insurance policies on 1 car, a uk one for when I'm in uk and a portugese one for when I'm in Portugal ? ...... If not,,, when I get to Portugal if I cancel my uk insurance and take out a portugese one then travel back to uk for short time , will it show up on the police ANPR computer as not having valid insurance

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you confirmed that the Portuguese insurer will insure a British car on British plates? I think you will find that they will not do it and they would require the vehicle to be registered in Portugal and on Portuguese plates.

I can tell you that a British insurer would not insure a Portuguese car on Portuguese plates, it would have to be registered in the UK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, confirmed that portugese ins company will cover uk car on uk plates,
I can't put car onto portugese plates as in order to do this you have to have owned the car a year , and I have not

If you cancel your UK insurance you will actually get very little money back so there is probably no point in cancelling it..

If you insure it in Portugal and then come back to the UK, it will show as uninsured on an ANPR.
You will then have to show the Portuguese paperwork which shows that it is insured for being driven in the UK.

Provided you declare to the insurance companies that there is another policy, there is no problem having two policies on one car although if you have an accident, they would split liability between them.