How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69252
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, We are an independent family run public house. On Sunday

Customer Question

Hi, We are an independent family run public house. On Sunday evening a 19 year old girl, who works for us, came to the pub, she was not on duty. She was drinking with my husband and myself, her boyfriend, who was not drinking & a number of other friends and staff. She was in the bar approx 2 hours and drunk approx 4 shots and several glasses of wine. She was intoxicated, but not out of control, falling over, sick or otherwise incapacitated. Her boyfriend took her home to her parents house, they then decided she needed to go to a & e, she was put on a saline drip and released within hours.

Her parents have involved a local licensing policeman who has visited us, seen cctv coverage of the evening and is happy that no wrong doing has occurred. There is no evidence or professional suggestion of any drink spike.

Her parents have then decided via text, verbally and via social media to implicate the pub in what happened. An example from Facebook is.. "worst weekend ever, and just for the record you bunch of arseholes she's still being sick compliments of royal oak"…'not in great way ended up in a & e all night bloody arseholes looks like drink spike"

My question is do we have any rights to insist the comments are removed and recanted/apologised for. Our business is in a rural Dorset village, we have spent 5 years creating a good reputation and are livid that unfounded remarks can be written.

Many thanks
Sarah Fox
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How long has this been going on for please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It occurred on Bank holiday Monday, would just like them to have to remove comment and apologise.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You have two causes for complaint.

Firstly, refer this matter to the police with a view to getting these people warned under the Protection from Harassment Act. The police are under a duty to prevent harassment and this is no doubt harassment although some police forces take it more seriously than others. You may have to press the police.

Secondly, write to them although a solicitors letter will have more effect, telling them to remove these posts forthwith It is called a "cease and desist letter".

Tell them that if they do not do it immediately, you will make an application to court for an injunction to make them remove the posts and to make them apologise. The application to court will also include an application for court and solicitor's costs and an application for compensation in respect of damage to reputation.

Hopefully, the letter will do the trick

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69252
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice