29905560

Hello, I received an email from my boss today which was addresed

Customer Question

I received an email from my boss today which was addresed to me but clearly meant for someone else and it's content was about me.
It was notes taken at a catch up meeting the previous week (just the two of us) I was not aware that he was taking notes.
The 6 page rant was written in anger and has his opinion of what happened.
I was called aggressive, hostile, intimidating, abrupt, rude and of having behavioural issues that he could no longer manage.
My name and job tilte and clearly marked on header but initials are throughout content.
I feel this is a character assasination, not professional and really nasty.
Can my employer do this?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

11 years

Ben Jones :

Do you know who the intended recipient was and what the purpose of the email was?

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

Yes, we have weekly catch up meetings but nothing is ever noted.

Ben Jones :

Have you approached the manager or anyone else about this?

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

just spoke to work colleague, the notes stated that my boss did not wish to meet with me again alone as he found me disrespectful.

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

can i just add, it feels ike a complaint about me but wasn't meant for me to see, the tone is so angry and aggressive in its swlf.

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

SELF

JACUSTOMER-4aww4w7n- :

Ben Jones :

It is unfortunately not uncommon for employees to make complaints to others about their colleagues and everyone has had a ‘moan’ now and then. I understand this is slightly more detailed than just a moan but the principle is the same. It only becomes an issue where the target becomes aware of the complaints or the complainant makes false allegations which are acted upon by the employer, such as disciplining the employee for these or creating a negative atmosphere in the office, with the target suffering from this.

What you mention in relation to this being ‘assassination of character’ is legally referred to as defamation but you should not try and get involved in pursuing it as such because it is a very complex and expensive claim and not something I would recommend in the circumstances. You may certainly mention the term when dealing with the employer over this but not actually make a legal claim for it.

This matter is best dealt with in the following manner:

1. First of all, and if appropriate, you should try and resolve the issue informally with the person responsible for the comments.
  2. If the above does not work or is not a viable option, you should consider raising a formal grievance with the employer by following the company's grievance policy. This formally brings the issue to the attention of the employer and they will have a duty to investigate and deal with it.
  3. If, following a grievance, the employer fails to take any action or the action they take is inappropriate, you would need to seriously consider your next steps. Unfortunately, employment law does not allow employees to make a direct claim about such issues. As such, the most common way of claiming is by resigning first and then submitting a claim for constructive dismissal in an employment tribunal (subject to having at least 2 years' continuous service with the employer). The reason for resigning would be to claim that by failing to act appropriately, the employer has breached the implied terms of mutual trust and confidence and failed to provide a safe working environment and that there was no other option but to resign. However, this step should only be used as a last resort as it can be risky, after all it will result in the employment being terminated.
Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks