How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A company called "JUVESIIO" put a "Drop Down" on my computer

Customer Question

A company called "JUVESIIO" put a "Drop Down" on my computer offering a free trial of a skin product, the only cost being a small amount for postage. This amount I paid using my MasterCard credit card. On checking my credit card account I find that £87.00 has been taken out by this company. I sent them an e-mail requesting the return of this unauthorised payment but have had no response. I also tried to make contact by phone but was told that the "system" was down and to phone at a later date. Checking up on this company I found numerous people who had a similar experience of what appears to be a scam. Could you advise me on what action is open to me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Where is the company based?

Have you reported the issue to the police?

Have you reported the issue to the credit card company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have no idea where the company is based

The matter was not reported to the police

I did report the matter both to my bank and to the card company

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You can always report this to the credit card company and ask them to deal with it as a fraud as they are taking money without the cardholder's consent.

If the amount was over £100 you could have filed a section 75 Consumer Credit Act claim which puts liability for this on to the card company along with the merchant.

Presumably, this company is based in some other country and therefore if you cannot get the £80 back from the merchant, you are going to have to push the issue with the bank. The bank have the ability to remove the facility to take credit card payments from the merchant and I think the bank is in breach of its duty of care by continuing to accept these payments when the problem with this is widely known.

I think you will struggle to get the money back from the merchant although I do know people who have had money back under similar circumstances from different companies. If you don't get it back from the merchant, and I think you need to press the credit card company very hard and if necessary make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice