How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69359
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I loaned a friend 10 thousand pounds over 10 years ago upon

Customer Question

I loaned a friend 10 thousand pounds over 10 years ago upon repeatedly asking for the monies I have received nothing.I have no proof other than a mutual friend who also loaned the same person the same amount,fortunately he retrieved his monies in drips but after many arguments and physical exchanges.I would rather avoid this.please can you [email protected]
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know how I can legaly get my money back

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
How long ago has this person acknowledged this debt ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

since 2oo1

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thats bad news.

Is there any reason you've left it this long to act?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this person kept on promising to pay.the money was loaned for a business which he still runs but I feel intimidated and this person would rather be violent toward me





Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

But when did he last promise to pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last week

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Was that verbal or in writing ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its always been verbal

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

It's a difficult situation. Clearly you are owed the money. I imagine that it would be easy enough to prove that you made the transfer of this amount and that gives rise to an inference that there was an agreement to repay it that probably would be sufficient for the civil courts.

The difficulty is that it's such an old debt. You had 6 years from the date of last acknowledgement to sue under the Limitation act 1980. In fact, if this person has recently acknowledged the debt verbally then you can rely on that but obviously you take the risk that he will deny that acknowledgement. It is only a risk rather than a certainty. People often do not take the points that they should be taking.

The other problem that you may want to consider is that if you are owed £10,000 then when costs are added you face the risk of this exceeding the Small Claims Court. In fact, if you can get his consent that this be heard at the Small Claims Court then probably it would be. He is likely to agree to that because it will reduce his costs too but obviously nobody can guarantee that.

In any event, the thing to do is to send him one letter by recorded delivery giving him 28 days to make a payment proposal and begin paying and setting down that in defaults you will sue. If he does not respond favourably then you can issue here

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice