12826847

I rent from a housing association,my water tank in the loft

Customer Question

I rent from a housing association,my water tank in the loft leaked and flooded part of the upstairs living room due to a faulty valve.Is tthe landlord liable for my damaged carpets?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Had the faulty valve been reported to them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No,the faulty valve was discovered by the emergency engineer who came out after i called about water pouring from my loft..

Is there any other reason that the housing association should have known about this to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They normaly do annual checks on the boiler,but in the 7 years I have been in this house i dont recall anyone doing a check on the tank in the loft....so to the best of my knowledge,they ouldnt have known about the faulty tank valves

The short answer is that the landlord is liable fory our losses if he has allowed the property to fall into disrepair and you have suffered loss as a result.

Obviously not all faults with the house are down to disrepair or landlord neglect.

However, if you are saying that this was not noticed because the landlord failed to do checks upon the boiler then you do have the basis of a claim against him.

Probably its a sum under £1000 anyway so it would cheap enough to issue and sue and they may well settle rather than go to court and defend this on this basis.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/