75100385

I received a £100 penalty off nhsba dental services because

I received a £100 penalty off nhsba dental services because I didnt inform the dentist that I was working and claimed exemption on my charges but I was never asked to sign anything to claim exemption or to pay and I have been referred to newcastle rvi for further inspection on my teeth before the dentist performs further treatment and I thought that this was all part of on going treatment and I would be told to pay at the end of this treatment.Do I have to pay the charge?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was this a private dentist you had the work done or NHS dentist? Were you not asked whether you had to pay for your treatment when you checked in with reception?

Customer:

Customer:

this is an nhs dentist,I walked in and said my name and was told to take a seat and wait till they call you.After treatment I went to reception and was told "we ll be in touch and see you in 6 month" I have an appointment at newcastle rvi on 26th april and they will forward the results to my dentist in due course and my dentist will be in touch with me about what course of treatment I should have and thats when I thought I would pay

Alex Watts :

What does the penalty say about contesting it please?

Customer:

it says on the back,you are not liable for the penalty if you can show that you did not act wrongfully or with any lack of care in failing to pay the nhs charge detailed above but it gives no one to contest it with

Alex Watts :

Ok - then I would suggest you contest it

Alex Watts :

You should write to the organisation that has levied the penalty

Alex Watts :

Say that the Dentist Practice did not ask you if you had to pay, otherwise you would have said yes

Alex Watts :

So write, contest it and say you are not going to pay.

Alex Watts :

If it went to the County Court (civil) then they would have to show that you acted wrongly, which you did not

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thank you