12826847

If I sell a property that is not my primary residence, is it

Customer Question

If I sell a property that is not my primary residence, is it the obligation of my solicitor to inform HMRC about the sale?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You are under a duty to advise HMRC of purchase but not a sale although if you have a solicitor acting for you on the purchase, you can delegate that.

If you are selling a property, there is no duty on you all the solicitor to advise the Stamp Office.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you mean......

If I am selling a property, there is no duty on me OR my solicitor to advise the Stamp Office? (you wrote "all" - so its not clear)

Yes, thats right. That was a dictation error.

If you are selling a property, the onus is not on you all the solicitor to advise the Stamp Office but it is on the buyer to advise the Stamp Office