Hi - I want to give my employer notice of termination of my

Customer Question

Hi - I want to give my employer notice of termination of my employment. I did have a temporary contract at the outset of my employment which expired. I asked employer to send me a new permanent contract. They did not send me one for some time and I reminded them a couple of times that I did not have a contract. They did eventually send me one which I did not sign. I have worked for the employer for just over 2 years. How much notice legally do I have to give my employer.

Yours gratefully
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Have you been working for this particular employer for 2 years please, or has there been a break?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - no there has not been a break it has been continuous employment for 2years.

I await your answer.

Many thanks for your help.

This is from the ACAS website so should help.

- You are required to give one weeks notice if you have been employed by your employer for one month or more, but less than 2 years.

- If you have been there for more than 2 years you are required to give 1 weeks notice for every full year you have been there.

It would be any contractual period as per your contract of employment. But you said that you never had a new one as the old one had expired.

For more help please see:

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Hi, the advice you have been given is incorrect. the notice periods which my colleague mentioned only apply if it is the employer that is giving you notice of termination. If it is the employee that is giving the notice periods then there is no requirement to give a week's notice for every year of employment. As an employee, in the absence of a contractual notice period, you are only expected to give a week's notice of termination, regardless of how long you have worked there for. Also the fact that you did not sign the contract does not necessarily mean you are not going to be bound by it - there could have been an implied acceptance of its terms, even if you never signed it. For example, if you were aware of the contract, made no indication you had rejected it and had started to work under its terms without protest, the employer could argue that you had accepted it through your actions and its terms could apply to you. However, this is getting a bit technical and should not be an issue unless the employer tries to sue you for not giving the correct notice period, which is highly unlikely.