UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Is there anything less than power of attorney that can be put

Is there anything less than power of attorney that can be put in place as I am trying to help out my 94year old aunt who is registered blind. I am named both as an executor and a beneficiary in her will and want to keep averything above board in proper order. My aunt is not suffering from dementia,but she cannot read her mail now and is somewhat forgetful. She lives too far away for me to deal with matters routinely with her present. If I could help manage her affairs it would relieve her, myself and other relatives of some worry.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

There is no other way that you may act for her unless you were jointly named on her bills, bank accounts etc.

She may execute an ordinary power of attorney which will only last until she is no longer able to make decisions for herself I.e. Until she loses mental capacity, if she wants you to act for her even after she loses mental capacity, she would need to issue a lasting power of attorney.

The ordinary power of attorney may be worded specifically to limit your authority to only certain matters specified in the document, and perhaps this is what you are looking for.

This may be useful

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/relationships_looking_after_people_e/managing_affairs_for_someone_else.htm#h_ordinary_power_of_attorney

Can I assist further?