Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Can I buy my mothers half of her shared freehold off her,

Can I buy my mother's half of her shared freehold off her, as she's being manipulated by her neighbours and I'd rather they dealt with me and not her?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

How is your mother's share of the freehold owned? Is it through a limited company?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - I don't think so. She owns the downstairs flat of a victorian house and her neighbours the upstairs. They both own the freehold at the moment. Jointly

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

I doubt you would be able to by the freehold from her as there are laws in place under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 that allow existing leaseholders first refusal. It would be pragmatically be very difficult.

If you are worried about your mother being taken advantage off and the other leasehold wont deal with you directly, then you could get your mother to give you a power of attorney in relation to the property and he would then have no choice, he would have to deal with you directly.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - that's very helpful. I thought that might be the case. Ok, I'll bear that in mind and first see if I can get them to communicate with us, and if not, we will look in to getting PoA.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

I would personally just go straight to the PoA route. You then wont need to alert the neighbour to what you are doing.

I wish you the best of luck. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.

AJ