12826847

I live in sheltered accommodation my mum has recently passed

I live in sheltered accommodation my mum has recently passed away and she is the one named on the tenancy and I am classed as a lodger even though I lived with her. Am I liable for the rent as they want me to vacate the property now?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You are not liable for the rent however you are not able to stay there either and you are liable to pay an amount of money in respect of rent (but not treated as rent but treated as what are known as mesnes profits) until such time as you vacate.

As this is special accommodation you are no right to inherit the tenancy. The landlord only has to give you one months notice to leave.

I'm sorry if this is bad news for you.