13262538

Dear all, do I as an Executor of the Will, have to show it

Customer Question

Dear all, do I as an Executor of the Will, have to show it to whoever is interested?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you.
No the Executor does not have to show the Will to anyone until Probate is Granted at which point it becomes a Public Document and anyone can buy a copy for a fee.
At that point the Executor does have to provide a copy of the Will to anyone named asa Residuary beneficiary (the person who gets anything not given to anyone else)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare, thank you for you answer. I am an Executor of a Will together with a solicitor, who insists we do not show the Will to anyone.

The Will was drafted by him for my friend who just passed. Her relatives are anxious to see it. The main beneficiary of the Will is me, but my friend drafted a lot of Wills during the past 20 years, and i believe that mine is the last one. Obviously, the relatives insist their's is the last Will. So without showing the Will to them, how can I prove it?

Also, there will be most certainly no Probate, as all she has left is about £11,000 in the Lloyd's bank, and it's threshold is £25,000.

Can I go against the will of second Executor (the solicitor) and show the Will to the interested parties?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare, I am on my way to London now so will be in touch later. Hope will be able to see the reply on my mobile.

What are the dates on the two Wills?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On mine its November 2012, the ones the other people have i dont have at hand, but they should be earlier. The closest to mine could be spring 2012.

What difference do you think showing them the Will will make?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would not like them to think i am doing something unlawful. Like keeping the inheritance that they think was meant for them. The problem is they r all abroad and r distant relatives. My friend had no immediate family.

How is the solicitor intending to deal with the Will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am Executor, same as the solicitor, guess we have equal rights.

At this stage I suspect that the solicitor is simply trying to protect you from unnecessary harassment and from that point of view I actually agree with him.
If they believe their's is the last Will then they should discuss it with the Solicitor - however if you wish to show them a copy of the Will then your co-executor cannot prevent you from doing so
Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. :-)

You are most welcome - i hope all goes well
ccare
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a new question, please. How can I stop second Executor acting as he wishes without consulting with me first?

I am sorry but the rules of the site mean that I have to ask you to raise this as a separate question - i am sorry