12826847

Dad died recently and left a will leaving his house to myself

Customer Question

Dad died recently and left a will leaving his house to myself and 3 sisters in equal shares. However, as I have lived with my parents all my life, sharing bills with them.
His will allows me to stay in the house for the rest of my life free of charge but paying all expenses and keeping the property in good order.

One of my sisters has made out her will which leaves her share of the property to a forth party. Can my dads will be ignored in this respect should she die before me, thereby ignoring my dads instruction that I can stay in the property until my death?
Simply am I protected by dads Will?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

The will that she has written is still subject to your life interest so it doesn't matter whether she dies and leaves her share to someone else and they die and leave it to someone else and that person dies and leaves it to someone else. They all inherit your sister share of the house subject to you being allowed to stay in it for life in accordance with your fathers will.

In that respect, you have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm not sure if you have already received this supplementary I, getting confused with your site so here goes again: would you suggest group tenancy or tenancy in common for land registry?

If each of you, wants to leave your respective shares to children or anyone else in your Wills, then it must be tenants in common and not joint tenants.

If the property is joint tenants, it automatically passes to the survivor regardless of what it says in the will.