13262538

can both parties in a custody battle receive legal aid

Customer Question

can both parties in a custody battle receive legal aid, my wife is holding a chinese passport, I am holding a british passport, there are 3 kids involved, she has already qualified for and receiving legal aid. I am on benefits and income support , she has already separated from me and we live in the uk. I have been told that because she applied for legal aid before me I am not eligible for Legal aid

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you.
The problem is not that she applied first - but that she applied before April 2013 and you did not.
Legal Aid for such cases was withdrawn (except in very restricted circumstances) last year
I hope that this explains the matter
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you're reply, is there anyway for me to be represented in court that is not going to kill me financially as this is the situation now? She has her legal team and I can't afford one, they are literally destroying me in court and twisting statements and the judge is not interested in listening to me because i have been representing myself

What are the actual issues involved?