How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I live in the UK. I located and rented a two bedroom property,

Customer Question

I live in the UK. I located and rented a two bedroom property, for five days convalescence stay, in Budapest from a UK owner and paid using Paypal, with a reputable company online.

When arriving, there were a number of minor problems regarding the highly appointed property and two significant problems, which negatively impacted on our stay - not only the direct impact, but the continued communication and anticipation of a resolution.

The property should have had wifi connection (this was essential for my personal and business needs), despite being able to log-in in other Budapest locations, it did not work in the apartment. The heavy, external wooden blinds in the main bedroom and lounge were damaged and unusable - omitting natural lights and views out of the property during the day and compromising privacy at night through the broken areas. The owner acknowledged the problems on the first night and gave assurances that they would be resolved. After at least 3 texts, the wifi remained unresolved for the whole duration and the blinds were repaired by 2.00pm our penultimate day - 23hrs prior to our departure.

The owner offered a refund of 23% (£5 per night and £10 per night for the blinds - these were not advertised prices in their webpage listing). I do not feel this comes close to compensating for the inconvenience. I accept that we have been able to access and use some amenities and recognise that would incur a cost. However, the problems significantly impacted negatively on our stay and (even with a 23% discount) I would not have chosen to stay at this property with these faults.

I thank you for your time and would welcome your comments.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

If you have a UK address for the owner and as you say he is in the UK, you may ask for a greater amount as compensation, possibly 75% of what you paid if you feel that is reasonable, giving the owner say 10 days to pay the amount or face legal action.

If the owner still fails to pay up, then you may make a court claim online at

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As this was arranged through a reputable website, I currently have an e-mail address, a Budapest address and a mobile telephone number. I also have the gentleman's business card, which has a UK place of work address. Will this affect my ability to request an increased compensation for my spoilt stay?


In anticipation of your continued support, many thanks.



Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
No, it will not affect your ability to make a claim in the UK, you may use the UK work address to send your court claim to.

All the best and please take a second to rate my answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your clarity. Finally, if successful in my claim, am I also able to claim my costs back? Many thanks

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
If it is a small claim, legal costs are not recoverable.

See here for further information on this

Please take a second to leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice