12826847

My mother died recently, she was 91. She was house bound and

Customer Question

My mother died recently, she was 91. She was house bound and was on housing benefits and council tax benefit. She received a state pension and a pension from my fathers when he died in 1997. This was paid into a post office account and amassed a final total of £30226. She also had £10238in a joint account with me. I have received a letter from dept of work and pensions requesting savings details to see if any overpayment. These"savings" we're never revealed before and I am the executor of her estate. Because of my ignorance after thinking that I had sorted everything out I have distributed the final amount after all debts paid between my brother and my children. Today I received this letter. My question would be how much am I liable to pay from the estate with regard to the claimed benefits if indeed anything. I understand that the benefits are paid to people who do not have enough money to live on, but the amount stated has accumulated over the last 15 - 20 years as she did not spend much and did not realise the amount in the post office as this was obviously seldom touched.