12826847

is a dog required to wear a collar even if wearing a harness

is a dog required to wear a collar even if wearing a harness when out in public

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi jo

i have just purchased a 2 year old wiemaramer she is walked using a harness, and i just wanted to know i she had to wear a collar as well, she is microchipped.

it was my understanding tha any time that a dog is in a public place that said dog must, by law be wearing a collar.

my question is.

does said law still apply if the dog is wearing a harness.

Sorry for the delay.

Under the Control of Dogs Act all dogs should wear collars with a tag bearing the name and address of their owner upon it at all times in public.

Dogs do not have to be on a lead but they must wear such a collar.

In fairness, you regularly see dogs that are not wearing collars and its fair to say that nothing normally happens about it.

The issue will be if she ever goes missing. If that does happen then you will be grateful she is wearing a collar with a tag. Usually if a person finds a dog wearing a collar they will just phone the owner, you will go and collect her and you won't incur the fee of the dog warden.

Also, though even if she does go to the dog warden, they are not under an obligation to scan dogs for microchips. Most dog wardens do because they are usually dog lovers but they do not have to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you jo, that is all i needed to know

regards peter

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to leave feedback for my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.