12826847

A stray cat in poor condition visits our house twice a day

Customer Question

A stray cat in poor condition visits our house twice a day for several weeks. He comes in and stays some time, but not at night. I put collar on with message asking if the cat is owned or a stray with my tele No for a reply. There has been no reply. I took the cat to the vet to see if he is microchipped and he is. Vet contacted owner and results show there are two owners, both claiming that the cat is theirs and that they both want him back. The vet cannot give me any legal advice and there seems to be a dispute between the breeder (one owner) and the "owner" who lives somewhere near to my house. This seems to be involving the police. The vet has given me the telephone number of the local owner so that I may make contact. The cat has been missing since August. I do not know what to do. All I want is for the cat to be returned to its rightful owner, but who is that?
Any help that you can give would be appreciated

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know whether I should reply to the local owner. Would I then become involved in their dispute? On advice from the vet I did keep the cat in last night but unfortunately it escaped out the door this morning. I am sure that he will return later as he nearly alway does or if not tomorrow morning.

Is this a moggy or a valuable pedigree cat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Vet said that he is a Bengal . He has not been castrated.

Ok. That will be the issue.

The simple answer is that it depends really what you want to do about this.

There is no way that you can mediate their dispute. Its for a court to resolve. You cannot be expected to ascertain who is the true owner of this cat.

If you want to protect yourself from legal action then the simple answer is to hand the cat back to the ostensible owner. Then if the breeder has any issues over this he will have to sue the owner and you fall away.

If you don't want to hand the cat back to either because of animal welfare concerns then you do run the risk of being sued for return of the cat and liable for costs but they could be mitigated by just returning him when you receive a summons if you ever do.

The truth here is that the owner does not seem particularly concerned about the cat because he has not been responding to your notes so whether he would sue is another matter. Obviously Bengal Toms do have a financial value though.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry I was called away and did not give feedback. I am very pleased with your handling of this problem I have.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.