12826847

Received 4 congestion charge notices for a car I sold 2 weeks

Customer Question

Received 4 congestion charge notices for a car I sold 2 weeks ago. I sent the sellers slip to DVLA and haven't got details of the trader who bought the car, other than their phone number. I expect to receive a confirmation letter for selling the car from DVLA within next 2 weeks (as it takes up to 4 weeks in total), but the congestion charge is due within 14 days.

Texted the seller 3 times and rang today, requesting name & address so I can forward on the charges, they keep saying they'll send later. It's been a few days and still haven't received.

How do I resolve this issue?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if you can appeal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo, thanks for trying to help.

Well, I'm unsure what step to take next in order to resolve, and hoping someone can advise me on what to do.

Shall I inform the DVLA first? Shall I contact the TfL who deal with Congestion Charges? Or do I appeal? If so, do I wait until I receive a seller's confirmation letter from the DVLA as presumably if I appeal then there will need to be evidence to show I wasn't the registered keep on the days the charges were incurred?

There are really two issues here.

The first is the situation with the DVLA with which you do need to deal. But the second is the instant one and that is with TFL.

In relation to the fines, they have been issued to you and you must appeal. If you do not then it will just lead to judgment which could be enforced arguably against you. Some of the liabilty rests with the driver obviously but if a fine has increased because you didn't act upon it then it could attach itself to you.

It is a defence to say that its not your car. The date of the transfer at the DVLA will be a consideration for them but if you can show that the actual transfer was earlier and an administrative delay caused you to be registered then you must appeal on that basis urgently.

You do need to give them as much information as possible about the sale. If you don't know the name of the new owner, then the address, phone number etc. An explanation for why you don't know.

If the transfer is underway then they can check this easily enough when the transfer is made.

In relation to the DVLA, in fact all you have to do is put the confirmations in the post. Its not for you to nag them. I know the DVLA do behave as though its your responsibility to physically delivered it to their offices but there is no basis for that!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo. I'll get back to you if I need further guidance.

No problem.

All the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Jo, just wanted to say thanks again.. all sorted :)

Glad it worked out.