UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

ostensibly my daughter by my first marriage who is now 48 years

ostensibly my daughter by my first marriage who is now 48 years old and whom i have had very little contact with ;[12months when she was years born and maybe 7 days when she was 21 and none since apart from a few christmas cards] this estrangement was at the request was of her mother and her parents ; The question is do i have to provide for her in my will or can i just leave my posessions to my two other children which are 37 and 40 years old and have been in my life constantly ; I lived with my current wife for 40 years till her recent death .I would appreciate an answer if possible
Thank you XXXXX XXXXX.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, you do not need to provide for her in your Will, there is no legal obligation to provide for adult children in your Will although there may be a moral obligation to do so.

She may contest your Will after your death under the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependents Act 1975 but she would need to convince the court that there is a good reason for her to have been provided in your Will, she is not entitled to inherit or contest your Will automatically.

Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I find with all information supplied raises more questions which, I think I need to contact a lawyer personally so i can get a better understanding of my rights my original solicitor gave me a similar answer when i the will was made; I feel i could not get my worries over to u by email

Okay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No need :: I need to be face to face as i cannot comunicate my thoughts through the medium of email

Thank u for your efforts

JHarrison