How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

ostensibly my daughter by my first marriage who is now 48 years

Resolved Question:

ostensibly my daughter by my first marriage who is now 48 years old and whom i have had very little contact with ;[12months when she was years born and maybe 7 days when she was 21 and none since apart from a few christmas cards] this estrangement was at the request was of her mother and her parents ; The question is do i have to provide for her in my will or can i just leave my posessions to my two other children which are 37 and 40 years old and have been in my life constantly ; I lived with my current wife for 40 years till her recent death .I would appreciate an answer if possible
Thank you XXXXX XXXXX.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, you do not need to provide for her in your Will, there is no legal obligation to provide for adult children in your Will although there may be a moral obligation to do so.

She may contest your Will after your death under the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependents Act 1975 but she would need to convince the court that there is a good reason for her to have been provided in your Will, she is not entitled to inherit or contest your Will automatically.

Can I assist further?

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I find with all information supplied raises more questions which, I think I need to contact a lawyer personally so i can get a better understanding of my rights my original solicitor gave me a similar answer when i the will was made; I feel i could not get my worries over to u by email

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No need :: I need to be face to face as i cannot comunicate my thoughts through the medium of email

Thank u for your efforts