UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi,could you tell me how to apply for a passport.I have been

Customer Question

Hi,could you tell me how to apply for a passport.I have been living in west yorkshire since 1995,am married with two boys age 13 and 11years old.I have a mortgage with my wife and we have been married for 12 years and i have been self-employed for about 7years.we went to our MP and through her i got an extension to remain till 24 of august 06,but idid not renew it cause one of the many reasons was my wife was ill she was misdiagnosed and then we found out in end she had cancer,mesothelioma to be precise.she was only given less than a year to live,she had big operation and had a lot of her inside taken out.Since then we have stayed together and now miraculousy she is recovering very well.We want to go on holiday as a family and my wife and sons have all got there passports except me and i was hoping to go on holiday this summer.I would greatly appreciate that,thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

What is your nationality and what nationality are your wife and children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am Gambian west africa and my wife and kids are british

I am afraid you do not qualify for a British Passport as you are not a British Citizen,

You would first need to obtain indefinite leave to remain in the UK which you can apply for once you have lived here for 20 years I.e. In 2015 as you first came here in 1995 from what you say.

Once you have ILR, you may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen after 3 years of receiving your ILR under S.6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

You need to appoint a very good solicitor to handle your long residence application on the grounds of private life in the UK so that you successfully get ILR.

E.g.
http://www.arshadmahmood.com/human-rights-applications/private-life-in-the-uk/initial-application-for-leave-to-remain-on-the-grounds-of-private-life-in-the-uk.html

Hope this helps. Can I help further?

Please take a second to rate my answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what if i want to go on holiday this summer,is it possible?

I am afraid not.

Sorry