UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I was recently told that my job title was changing from Senior

I was recently told that my job title was changing from Senior Revenue Analyst to Revenue Analyst because the department had changed the job description and the required experience for senior revenue analyst had increased. They did not give me any detail behind the reasoning. Are they allowed to do this?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you saying you were demoted?

Has there been any change in pay or conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for looking into this. I had been at the company for nine months when they told me. There was no decrease in salary. I will still on probation on a weeks notice so I was afraid that if I argued I would be dismissed. No change to terms and conditions either accept that my probation was signed off. I would like to mention that I had received no negative feedback regarding my performance so I didn't see it coming at all. It's not that I mind the change in job title but I am concerned about the reason given by my manager which was I did not have a project because he had not had time to give me one. How do I know he won't use this excuse to not develop me again?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK, so basically the job title has changed but you are doing the same job without any other changes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But I haven't seen a job description for my job, only the senior position.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

You may raise a grievance with your employer about the change to your job title and the fact that you have not been issued with a proper job description, but I am afraid change of a job title is not regarded as a fundamental change of your employment contract to warrant you to resign from you pr job and claim constructive dismissal or breach of contract.

If you are fine with the change of title as you say, then you cannot claim constructive dismissal as such.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX put in a grievance about this.

Please send this query to UKSolicitorJA only

Can I also raise a grievance about the fact that the terms and the conditions of my employment contract state a 6 month probation period however mine was signed off after 9 months? There was no communication to me from my manager about my probation being extended for any reason at any point. They only signed it off at the same time as the title change and so I feel I was intimidated into accepting the change of job title otherwise I could be dismissed on a weeks notice? Are they allowed the intimidate me in this way?

The reason it has taken me a little while to look into this is that at the same time this was happening, my mum was in hospital having had a heart attack, it was a very distressing time.

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Yes, you may also put in a grievance about the fact that your probation was passed after 9 months and not 6 months if they did not have the right to extend your probation in this way.

All the best, XXXXX XXXXX a second to rate the answer
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience