I am a cosmetic doctor and private GP - botox, fillers and

Customer Question

I am a cosmetic doctor and private GP - botox, fillers and general consultations. No surgery.
What is the law regarding seeing patients at my home.
Do I need a license or planning permission ?
I have searched the web and the classifications - C3 does not appear to exclude me.
I am looking to buy a house or flat and need to have clarification as this will be a huge expense to me.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How many patients per week will come to your house?

Will this be the registered address of the business?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I may have 5-25 patients a week - this will vary.

I travel a lot- spending up to 3 months abroad and will be working in the UK more on a part time basis at the moment. This may change.

I would like to use the address for correspondence and my website, although my registered address for my company is with my accountant.

You do not automatically need planning consent to operate your business from home.

If you are converting the house into a surgery and not continuing to live in it then you would need change of use to D1.

There is no category for what you want to do which is why all your searches have not come up with anything.

Each case is looked at on an individual basis and fingers which would be considered include the following:

At the comings and goings of visitors and whether this would be a disturbance to your neighbours

Parking facilities

Hours of operation.

The amount of the building taken over by the business and whether it has ceased to be primarily a house.

Are the activities unusual in the area.

The only definitive answer will come from your local authority to whom you will need to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use which is basically an application you make whereby they confirm that it is not a change of use and the uses lawful and that you do not need consent.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

May I come back to you for any further questions, and if so, is there a time limitation or will I have to pay another fee.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I use my home as a registered address and put it on my website ?

There is no problem doing that at all. Actually having the registered address of the business and the address on the website is not a matter for the planning authorities

The problem is likely to be the number of visitors coming and going particularly if any of the neighbours complain