How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70014
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a cosmetic doctor and private GP - botox, fillers and

Customer Question

I am a cosmetic doctor and private GP - botox, fillers and general consultations. No surgery.
What is the law regarding seeing patients at my home.
Do I need a license or planning permission ?
I have searched the web and the classifications - C3 does not appear to exclude me.
I am looking to buy a house or flat and need to have clarification as this will be a huge expense to me.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How many patients per week will come to your house?

Will this be the registered address of the business?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I may have 5-25 patients a week - this will vary.

I travel a lot- spending up to 3 months abroad and will be working in the UK more on a part time basis at the moment. This may change.

I would like to use the address for correspondence and my website, although my registered address for my company is with my accountant.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

You do not automatically need planning consent to operate your business from home.

If you are converting the house into a surgery and not continuing to live in it then you would need change of use to D1.

There is no category for what you want to do which is why all your searches have not come up with anything.

Each case is looked at on an individual basis and fingers which would be considered include the following:

At the comings and goings of visitors and whether this would be a disturbance to your neighbours

Parking facilities

Hours of operation.

The amount of the building taken over by the business and whether it has ceased to be primarily a house.

Are the activities unusual in the area.

The only definitive answer will come from your local authority to whom you will need to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Use which is basically an application you make whereby they confirm that it is not a change of use and the uses lawful and that you do not need consent.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70014
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.


May I come back to you for any further questions, and if so, is there a time limitation or will I have to pay another fee.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I use my home as a registered address and put it on my website ?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There is no problem doing that at all. Actually having the registered address of the business and the address on the website is not a matter for the planning authorities

The problem is likely to be the number of visitors coming and going particularly if any of the neighbours complain

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions