29905560

If an author dies without bequeathing the copyright to his

If an author dies without bequeathing the copyright to his work, who succeeds to the copyright? Does the publisher get anything?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

If an author dies and they have not bequeathed or assigned the copyrights to their work to anyone, the copyright would simply continue as an asset of their estate and be distributed under intestacy rules (if no will exists). The copyright will eventually expire 70 years after the author’s death, but until then it will just form part o their estate immediately after their death. The publisher will not get anything unless there was a lear assignment of the copyright to them.

Customer:

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome