29905560

I have made a claim to my companys occupational health insurer

I have made a claim to my company's occupational health insurer for early retirement through ill health. The insurer now requires me to undergo an independent medical examination. There is immediate recent correspondence between the insurer and my psychiatrist. I would like to see this before the examination. However the insurer is requiring me to make a DSAR and states that the examination must not be delayed by the DSAR. Do I have the right to to see this most recent correspondence before the examination?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why do you need to see the correspondence before the examination?

Customer:

A number of reasons:

Customer:

My psychiatrist has been supportive of ey but the insurer says that he is no longer so. My case is complex and I want to understand what the issues now are. I find it very stressful to attend an examination that may well turn out to be a cross-examination without full visibility of the issues. I want to be sure that the examiner sticks to the issues and that there is not an additional agenda.

Ben Jones :

When is the examination scheduled for?

Customer:

To be scheduled

Ben Jones :

There is no law that states this information must be given to you before you attend the examination. As you have been informed you have the right to make a DSAR to request that information and the insurer has a time limit of 40 days to respond to this and provide the information requested. So if the examination is going to take place after that time, there is a good chance you would already have the details that you need.

If the examination is scheduled to take place before that then you simply have to try and postpone that to a later time. There are various tactics you could use to claim unavailability, whether due to prior appointments, health issues or anything else that you can think of, just to try and buy some time.

You also cannot be forced to attend at the scheduled time and if you fail to do so that does not mean that this is the end of the whole thing – the employer/insurer would not be acting reasonably if they refuse to proceed with this just for one non-attendance or a slight glitch like this. It would take continuous non-compliance to justify it.

Customer:

Are you there Mr Jones

Ben Jones :

Yes

Ben Jones :

Can you see my response above?

Customer:

Yes, but you do not ask any question in it for me to reply to

Ben Jones :

Well...you ask the question and I provide the response, apart from the initial queries I needed from you, I only had a couple of questions for you to start with then I provided my repsonse

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I have one further supplementary question - Am I entitled to know the medical qualifications of the examiner?

Ben Jones :

yes you can certainly ask them to provide details of their qualifications

Customer:

OK, that's all my questions answered thankyou.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

Oh, please switch on rating selection

Ben Jones :

it is on but sometimes there is a glitch so you can just type your selection instead on here, thanks

Customer:

good service

Ben Jones :

Customer:

how do I pay

Ben Jones :

you would have placed a deposit when you posted the question so that would all be done, there is nothing else for you to do now

Customer:

I presume I have paid £33 then?

Ben Jones :

yes thats correct

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'