75100385

I just returned from 1 month in the USA visiting family for

Customer Question

I just returned from 1 month in the USA visiting family for the Easter holidays to find my car missing from the street that I had parked on near my house in Haringay. Upon further investigation I find that TFL had towed the car the day after I left for two outstanding yellow box of fences that I never knew existed and auctioned it off the day before my return to the country as I obviously had no knowledge of these offences or that the car had been removed. They had been sending the fines to my previous address which I had moved from In December and submitted my v5 for the address change in December. I followed up with the dmv in February about the change of registration and was informed that I had to wait 3 months and then they would look at why if I had not received the new log book. It seems know upon further investigation they did not receive the v5 change. They are telling me that I have no recourse and my car with all my personnel belongings, kids car seats, scooters are gone. And I will receive any balance from the auction sale. The car is valued at around 8k and I will be lucky yo receive any money back! We are a young family who rely on our car for taking children to school and our work. They expect me to accept being 8000 pounds out of pocket and now have to raise the money for a new vehicle. Do you have any suggestions?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : To confirm, your vehicle has now been sold on?
JACUSTOMER-2wx19pc2- : Yes, I flew out of the country on the 27 march and returned 28 April. They towed the car on the 28 march and sold it at auction last week.
Alex Watts :

Just so that I understand when the original notice would have come through had you notified the DVLA at that stage?>

JACUSTOMER-2wx19pc2- : No I had not, I was intermittently at the address as I transitioned to my current flat. we had consistent problems with the mail delivery at our previous address. I have had a PCN from TFL in the last couple of months which I paid instantly as with every other violation I have had for the last 22 years. My car was newly taxed, MOT and insured.
Alex Watts :

So you had the PCN which you paid?

JACUSTOMER-2wx19pc2- :

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, i have never received the PCN or any of the follow up information. The first i knew about the PCN, which is a yellow box violation caught on camera, was when i was tracking down the car last week. If i had been in the country when the car was towed i would have dealt with the situation immediately but as i was in the US for a month i had no idea. The car was parked legally on a residential street where i always park so i had no reason to expect such a problem.

JACUSTOMER-2wx19pc2- :

Also in the car were quite a few personnel belongings, children's car seats, children,s scooters, toys, books, newly dry cleaned work suit, personnel mail, some clothing items of my wife etc... When i enquired about this i was told it was bad luck and that they were all gone!!! I also informed them that they had the wrong correspondence address but they refused to take my address, again saying it was not there problem. I have submitted a formal complaint to TFL but have yet to hear anything.